Skip to main content

Emergency road closures and diversions

View more information about current and planned road works

Current road closures and notices, last updated on Monday 5 December 2016 at 10.18am


To view the location of a road on a map, enter the road number in the Explore Herefordshire map search box.

Road number Area Cause Road condition Last update
U66410 Moorend Cross, Mathon Emergency works on water main Closed 00002747545 Hours ago

What are temporary road closures?

If works on the highway, or some large deliveries or events, require the closure of a road, the highway authority must issue a temporary traffic regulation order. These events are likely to be more disruptive to traffic so they require higher levels of coordination and communication.

Herefordshire Council is the highway authority for the majority of the county's roads. This is except for the trunk roads and motorways (A49T, A40T (Ross-on-Wye to Monmouth) and the M50), which are managed by the Highways Agency.

How do I apply for a temporary road closure?

To apply for a temporary road closure, please complete the temporary road closure application form.

Complete a temporary road closure form

How do I apply for a road closure for a street party?

If your street party requires partial or complete closure of a road, you need to apply in advance to our contractor using the application for a temporary road closure form and include the reason for the road closure.

Complete a street party road closure form

Please give as much notice as possible. This will allow us to properly assess your application and coordinate your closure with any others.

Queen's 90th birthday celebrations

If you wish to hold a street party for the Queen's birthday celebrations on the 11 and 12 June 2016 please submit your application for a road closure by the 2 May 2016.

Do I need public liability insurance for a street party?

If you are organising a street party, we advise you to consider obtaining public liability insurance.

Normally, the council does not provide insurance for street parties. However, if the street party is for a national celebration, such as a royal wedding or jubilee, we may provide insurance.

Do I need to apply for a temporary event notice for a street party?

Yes, if your street party involves a bar, band or dancing, you may also require a temporary event notice (cost £21).

This covers up to 500 people attending and you must apply 12 working days in advance of the event.

You can apply online for a temporary event notice.

This information is based on the latest available reports from council and police sources but is not necessarily comprehensive. Conditions are liable to change at short notice. We advise motorists to take care on all routes and to comply with warning signs.

Sign up for emergency road closures alerts

Subscribe to email and RSS page updates

A to Z of services