Skip to main content

Emergency road closures and diversions

Current road closures and notices, last updated on Thursday 16 April 2015 at 8.12am

To view the location of a road on a map, enter the road number in the Explore Herefordshire map search box.

Road number Area Cause Road condition Last update
Thursday 16 April 2015 at 8.12am

This information is based on the latest available reports from council and police sources but is not necessarily comprehensive. Conditions are liable to change at short notice. We advise motorists to take care on all routes and to comply with warning signs.

Eastbound route, Bath Street, Hereford closed from March 29 for four weeks

Western Power Distribution (WPD), the electricity distributor for the region, is investing £120,000 to update its power network in Hereford.

WPD is investing in its network to improve supply reliability and customer service levels. The forthcoming works involve relocating a substation that has reached the end of its working life.

The work will start on March 29 and will last for four weeks.

The current substation is situated in front of the city walls, which are a scheduled historic ancient monument. It will be rebuilt on Kyrle Street. New cables will also be installed to connect the substation to the electricity network.

As a result of the initiative, the eastbound route through Bath Street will be closed from March 29 whilst the cables are being installed, with signed diversions in place. The westbound route through Bath Street will remain open.

The work has been scheduled during the Easter holidays when traffic is expected to be lighter. WPD will work seven days a week to ensure it is completed as quickly as possible.

The diversion routes and traffic management plans can be viewed in the documents section of this page.

Other roadworks services

View more information about current and planned road works

Sign up for emergency road closures alerts

Subscribe to email and RSS page updates

What are temporary road closures?

If works on the highway, or some large deliveries or events, require the closure of a road, the highway authority must issue a traffic regulation order. These events are likely to be more disruptive to traffic so they require higher levels of coordination and communication.

Herefordshire Council is the highway authority for the majority of the county's roads. This is except for the trunk roads and motorways (A49T, A40T (Ross-on-Wye to Monmouth) and the M50), which are managed by the Highways Agency.

How do I apply for a temporary road closure?

To apply for a temporary road closure, please complete the temporary road closure application form.

Complete an application form

How do I apply for a road closure for a street party?

If your street party requires partial or complete closure of a road, you need to apply in advance to our contractor using the application for a temporary road closure form and include the reason for the road closure.

Complete a temporary road closure form online

Please give as much notice as possible. This will allow us to properly assess your application and coordinate your closure with any others.

Do I need public liability insurance for a street party?

If you are organising a street party, we advise you to consider obtaining public liability insurance.

Normally, the council does not provide insurance for street parties. However, if the street party is for a national celebration, such as a royal wedding or jubilee, we may provide insurance.

Do I need to apply for a temporary event notice for a street party?

Yes, if your street party involves a bar, band or dancing, you may also require a temporary event notice (cost £21).

This covers up to 500 people attending and you must apply 12 working days in advance of the event.

You can apply online for a temporary event notice.

A to Z of services