Skip to main content

Report a highway problem or make an enquiry

Herefordshire Council is the highway authority for the majority of the county's roads. Our contractor delivers highway services for Herefordshire Council. This is except for the trunk roads and motorways (A49T, A40T (Ross-on-Wye to Monmouth) and the M50), which are maintained by the Highways Agency.

All roads are regularly inspected and maintained to the standard set in our Highway Maintenance Plan. This is defined by the character of the road and its expected traffic use.

How do I report a highway problem or make an enquiry?

Report urgent highway obstruction or maintenance

To report the following urgent issues please telephone 01432 261800:

  • Dead animal on the road - for example, badger, dog or larger
  • Disabled parking bays - obstructed bays or maintenance issues
  • Fuel/oil spills
  • Gritting - urgent gritting required to road or pavement. When conditions require we carry out routine gritting on priority routes.
  • Lifebuoys - missing or damaged
  • Manhole covers - raised or missing
  • Mud on a road
  • Obstruction on the road or pavement requiring urgent attention, including fallen trees
  • Road traffic accident
  • Traffic light faults on permanent traffic lights

Please be ready to provide details of the issue including the location, your name and contact details.


  • Flooding on highways that could cause a danger to the public, please call 01432 261800

Report other highway maintenance issues

For other highway maintenance issues follow the links below and report online.

When reporting a problem please provide a description of the fault, its location (street name, road number and any landmarks) and your name and contact details:

Please note: any work undertaken is dependent on other priorities and budgets available.

How long does it take to fix a highway problem?

Our contractor will inspect the reported defect and assign a priority and category of repair. Our contractor aims to repair major road defects within one working day of inspection. However, this is dependent on the number of defects reported and the available resources.

We classify a defect into one of three categories and each category has its own response time. Our contractor is committed to achieving these standards for highways defect management.

What are the categories of highway defects?

Category 1 defects

Category 1 defects are those that require prompt attention because they represent an immediate or imminent hazard or because there is a risk of short-term structural deterioration.

We will respond to category 1 defects within two hours, make them safe within 24 hours and repair them within 28 days of the initial report.

Category 2 defects

Category 2 defects are those that do not represent an immediate or imminent hazard or a risk of short-term structural deterioration. However, they may represent a safety concern of a far lesser significance than category 1 defects. We consider them under two sub-categories and these determine how they are treated:

Category 2a defects

These defects either represent a greater safety hazard or are likely to deteriorate further before the next scheduled inspection. We will prioritise and repair these defects within 28 days alongside routine maintenance work or as part of a programmed maintenance scheme, and we make them safe until the scheme is undertaken. 

Category 2b defects

These defects do not represent a public safety concern and are unlikely to deteriorate further before the next scheduled inspection, and we note them for the next safety/service inspection.

How do I request road resurfacing?

To request road resurfacing or to report other road defects, please contact us with the details, including the location (street name, road number and any landmarks) and your name and contact details. We will inspect the site and consider including the request in the future works programme. Please allow 28 days for the inspection.

Make an online request for road resurfacing

How do you compile your future highway works programme?

We use many sources of information and surveys (such as skidding resistance, texture, cracking, rutting and profile) to construct and prioritise the future highway works programme.

As we have a limited budget, it is important that we consider safety as a top priority. The road classification, speed and use of the road all play an important role in identifying safety issues and prioritising the programme. The programme also needs to consider all roads across the county.

How do I report a pavement needing repair?

You can report a pavement needing repair on our report a pothole map.

Report a pavement needing repair

Please give a clear description of the defect's location, for example, road name or outside a property number.

Report a ditch, culvert or gully problem

Report a blocked ditch or culvert


Ditches belong to the adjacent landowner, who has a responsibility to keep them clear of leaves and debris. This will allow water to flow freely. If ditches are blocked and causing flooding on the highway please report this to us.

We will assess the severity of any blocked ditch and decide on actions needed. Ditching work is programmed subject to budget availability.


Culverts are brick or concrete structures which allow water to flow underneath the highway. If a culvert has collapsed please report this to us. Our contractor will inspect it and decide on any remedial works which may need to be undertaken. 

When reporting a problem, please provide a description of the fault, its location (street name, road number and any landmarks) and your name and contact details.

Report a gully problem


Gullies are slotted metal grates that take away water from the road surface and are situated in the gutter at the edge of a road.

Our contractor empties all gullies according to a schedule and if the gully is not posing an immediate threat of flooding, they will empty the gully when their staff are next due in the area.

Do I need permission to erect a traffic mirror on a road?

No council is able to provide permission or erect traffic mirrors on the highway.

A traffic mirror may help those joining a road from a junction with limited visibility, but a traffic mirror placed in the highway is legally classed as an obstruction on the highway. Such mirrors cannot be put up without permission from the Department for Transport. This requires extensive site investigation application information.

Permission is very rarely given. It is reserved only for the very poorest of busy junctions with a significant collision history and generally only on a temporary basis until junction improvements are made.

There are two further concerns:

  • The sun or lights from a vehicle may shine onto the mirror and reflect into the eyes of an approaching motorist, causing considerable confusion and possibly an accident
  • A driver may rely on the mirror, even though it might become obscured, no longer be visible or may not even face in the right direction any more

The Department for Transport stance always prefers to improve visibility at junctions, rather than rely on a traffic mirror. If a mirror is installed without Department for Transport permission and a collision occurs, the installer would be liable to prosecution.

For further information please contact us on:

  • Telephone: 01432 261800

Who is responsible for removing mud on a road?

Deposits of mud are not permitted on the highway and directly contravene the Highways Act 1980. We work with the police and other organisations to assist landowners and contractors to manage this risk. It is the duty of anyone who inadvertently drops mud on the highway to clear it up immediately. We can assist in cleaning up operations where necessary but there is an associated charge for this service.

If you would like to report mud on the road and also can provide any additional information on the vehicle depositing the mud on to the highway then please contact 01432 261 800 

If you operate a farm vehicle please read our guidance or visit the NFU website.

Who is responsible for cutting back overgrown hedges or trees on a public highway?

Trees and hedges are the responsibility of the owner of the land they are situated on. The owner has a legal obligation to keep them from encroaching on the highway.

Before reporting overgrown trees or hedges please read the notes below to see what issues the council has the power to help with.

Tree and hedge issues to report to the council

  • Trees or hedges overhanging or encroaching on a public footpath
  • Trees or hedges overhanging or obstructing visibility on a public road
  • Dead or diseased trees on public land

We may serve a hedge cutting notice which states that the trees or hedges need to be cut back within 28 days. If the landowner fails to do this, the notice may be enforceable in court. However, it is very rare for this to happen.

If an inspector believes the overhang is causing a serious problem, they may have the works carried out and then bill the landowner. This would only happen in rare circumstances, when all other attempts have failed.

A tree which is diseased, damaged or dead may be dangerous, but a definitive assessment is required by a qualified tree care specialist. Trees are not dangerous simply because they are tall or large.

Other tree and hedge issues

Trees or foliage blocking light to your property

Any case relating to loss of light has to be proved in the Civil Court. For more information visit GOV.UK Law Commission consultation on the current law on rights to light

Trees blocking satellite TV signal

Paying for a television licence entitles you to possess and use a receiver - the television box itself. There is no right to an analogue or digital TV signal that comes over a neighbouring property.

Overhanging branches

A tree owner is not legally obliged to cut back growth from a neighbour’s property. The neighbour is free to cut back any branches overhanging his own property but may need to check whether the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

You can request to view copies of Tree Preservation Orders. Please contact the Customer Service Centre, Franklin House, 4 Commercial Road, Hereford, HR1 2BB to make an appointment. Any tree in a conservation area counts as having a TPO.

Leaf and seed drop

We will not automatically remove limbs of trees to prevent leaf and/or seed drop if the tree is otherwise healthy. 

Trees entangling overhead cables

Please report these issues to the owner of the cables, for example, British Telecom.

Timing of tree works

We follow the guidelines issued by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and Wildlife and Conservation groups to protect birds during the nesting season. This means we generally stop tree works between March and August and our tree teams will always double check an area where tree works have been planned on the day they hope to carry out tree works. If there is any likelihood that the works would disturb nesting birds or other wildlife, works would be postponed until later in the year.

Report overhanging trees or hedges

Report trees or hedges causing an obstruction

Please provide the location of the overgrown hedge or tree - street name, road number and any landmarks.

Do you provide guidance for developers on road and transport design?

Yes, we have two documents that give guidance and set standards for developers in relation to transport considerations, highway design and construction:

Highways design guide for new developments

Highways specification for new developments

These PDF documents are designed to be printed double sided. You can buy hard copies for £25 each, or £50 for both. Please send a cheque made payable to 'Herefordshire Council' to:

Transportation Unit 
Herefordshire Council
PO Box 236 
Plough Lane 
HR4 0WZ 

How do I report raised or damaged manhole covers?

To report raised or damaged manhole covers on Herefordshire roads, please telephone 01432 261800 and provide details of the precise location and details of the damage.

A to Z of services