Skip to main content

Traffic regulation orders

A Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is a legal order introduced by Herefordshire Council, as highway authority for the majority of the county's roads. It enables enforcement of various road regulations by the police or our own on-street parking and Civil Enforcement Officers. The Orders inform people of highway changes and the likely effects they will have. TROs are required for many different road restrictions including:

  • Speed limits
  • One way streets
  • Weight restrictions
  • On-street parking

Most traffic regulation orders arise from a request from local communities and / or the police, to address specific safety, traffic congestion or quality of life issues.

View proposed traffic regulation orders

View introduced traffic regulation orders

Requesting a TRO

TRO requests should be made through your local councillor and/or your parish or town councillor. 

The reasons for this are:

  • Your councillor may be aware of similar requests and are best placed to assess and co-ordinate an application
  • It is a lengthy procedure, typically six to nine months, therefore, an indication of support from your local councillor is required prior to embarking on the implementation procedure.

You can find your local councillor using our election information lookup.

What is the process for creating traffic regulation orders?

The legal procedure for traffic regulation orders includes:


We consult with:

  • Local councillors
  • Parish councils
  • Chief Constable and other emergency services
  • Other institutions such as the Freight Transport Association, the Road Haulage Association
  • Local public transport operators
  • Local interest groups affected by the proposals, such as residents, traders and community groups. This is particularly the case in residents’ parking schemes 

The cabinet member for highways and transportation then reviews the proposal.


We then advertise the proposed traffic regulation order:

  • In the local press
  • On any roads that are affected
  • To premises likely to be affected
  • At a nominated council office during office hours for at least 21 days from the start of the notice the proposal

We ask for views from the Chief Constable and local councillors on substantial objections and contentious issues. We then report these to the cabinet member for highways and transportation for consideration. When considering the objections, the cabinet member must decide whether to either allow the scheme to proceed as advertised, modify the scheme, or abandon it.

Making the order

When any standing objections have been considered, the traffic regulation order is then formally sealed. Modifications to the proposals resulting from objections could require further advertising. The whole procedure can take up to 12 months to complete and the advertising and legal fees can be substantial.

Other types of order

Occasionally, experimental orders or temporary orders are introduced which require a slightly different process, but still provide the opportunity for comments.

Experimental orders

Experimental orders are used in situations that need monitoring and reviewing. These are usually abandoned, amended or made permanent after 18 months. The process follows the consultation stage above, but the order is introduced at the advertising stage, providing people an opportunity to put forward their views within six months of the introduction of the order.

Temporary orders

Temporary orders may be used when works affecting the highway require short-term traffic restrictions, and are introduced following notification in the local press.

How do I comment on a proposed traffic regulation order?

To object or support a proposed traffic regulation order, please write to the Traffic Management Team, Unit 3, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, HR2 6JT or email

We will acknowledge receipt of your comments and they will be considered before the confirmation of the proposal. We will then inform you of the final decision.

Please note that we may impart any objections or representations to third parties.  

A to Z of services